Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Opticynicism

Everyone has the things they fight against; everyone has a part of their nature that can both drive them to good and too bad. For me my issue has always been a deep seated cynicism about the world. In my better moments that cynicism leads me to optimist conclusions after all I firmly believe that the point of living and of being an optimist is to be foolish enough to believe the best is yet to come, I read that once and instantly knew it was true, and my own cynical nature helps reinforce my optimism to a certain extent.

But there are times that I can lose my optimistic shine and get lost in feelings of disgust at the world around me. There is enough evidence to back up that assertion as well as my inclination towards optimism. Cynicism isn’t all bad though. George Bernard Shaw once said "the power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." And Oscar Wilde once asked the question, who is a Cynic? "A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing" I take both all these things seriously, I take the world seriously its part of my nature and yet I know that, that is only half the story because in the end, I'll quote one last time: I am an optimist, unrepentant and militant. After all, in order not to be a fool an optimist must know how sad a place the world can be. It is only the pessimist who finds this out anew every day.

0 comments: