Thursday, December 18, 2008

Silence

Usually when I commute into and out of the city during the week I listen to my ipod or read a book, it makes the fours hours a day I spend commuting easier to deal with and I feel like when I read a book that at least I’m doing something during hours that would otherwise feel wasted. Last few days I stopped listening to my ipod and tried to focus on my surrounding more. The slights, the sounds, the smells (yikes!) and it’s been a really nice change of pace. I find to often that people are always distracting themselves from reality. It’s like they just can’t deal with the present unless it is filtered though something. Silence is boring seems to be the implication here, or reality isn’t any good. Always a filter, always a distraction, this is a fatally flawed assumption and its just part of my generations increasing disconnect from reality. Even so this isn’t meant to be a lecture and I certainly like listening to music on my commute, music has the ability to lift me up after a long, hard day. It has the ability to sooth me and rocks me to sleep on the train in the early morning. So please by all means find things that make you happy, that make a sometimes hostile world easier to cope with but also make some time to be present to just enjoy the reality your in without any filters. Silence after all can be a beautiful thing. Shalom Alechem.

0 comments: