Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Answer

The Answer, AI, Allen Iverson these are the names of one of my favorite childhood athletes. I’ve written about football and baseball before but today I want to talk about the littlest big guy I’ve ever seen play. I’ve grown up watching Iverson play. The first time he came to my attention was in 1996 when he was drafted first overall by the 76’ers. I was twelve years old and all I knew is that this guy; a midget compared to everyone else around him played like he was the biggest guy on the court, he was fearless and always wanted the ball in his hands when it mattered.

I was always playing sports as a child and I was always one of the smallest guys out there. I had to fight hard for respect from everyone on the field. If I was playing football and I missed a catch I might not see the ball again for all of recess. I hated that, I hate that I was (or at least felt) disrespected by the bigger kids. As a result I fought hard when I played and in Allen I found a kindred spirit.

So it’s hard for me even now as an adult to see one of the players whose game I grew up admiring being so disrespected by the sports world. I’m now at the age where the new players who come into the sports universe are younger then me. Which quite frankly is more then a little weird; as with all things you love as a child as you grow up your relationship with those things changes and with sports most acutely. At thirty four Iverson is being treated as if he has nothing left in the tank and I just don’t understand it.

But it’s nice to feel this sort of indignation. I appreciate that he is one of the last athletes that I’ll truly feel connected to the way I do. I no longer play hoops with my friends at recess pretending that I’m the Answer ready to take out my opponents with that devastating crossover that I used to love watching him employ. So I’m enjoying the feeling of being so fired up about a sports figure like I am today with Iverson. I hope he lights it up in Philly for the rest of the year and has a chance to go out on his own terms. He hasn’t had it easy and despite his sometimes standoffish attitude with the media he’s earned the right to walk away when he’s ready.

Thanks Allen for making me feel like a kid again, all the best.

0 comments: