Thursday, October 25, 2007

Jerusalem

I have arrived in Jerusalem; well to be technical I got here yesterday but just the same. As I write this I’m sitting in my new place with a bunch of guys around me, and I couldn’t be happier. I already feel like I’ve been here for a few weeks, everyone here is so welcoming, they immediately made me feel like I belong which is a huge relief. After stressing about what I’d be doing for the last few weeks it feels really great to be in it now, the anticipation of the event was as always more stressful then the event itself. Now I know as I’m here longer things will inevitably come up, I’ll meet people I don’t like, I’ll argue with people over lifestyle choices, etc. This is life after all and life is tough, but it just feels really good to be here now. I had my first day of classes, and there are a few Rabbis that I was drawn to immediately, so it all made for a very interesting first day that’s for sure. The flow of Yeshiva life is definitely going to be an adjustment, lunch for instance is a mad rush, I kept running into people, within five minutes I stopped apologizing and just pushed my way through. My head is on a swivel, every twenty minutes I find myself looking out the windows of Aish at the Kotel and thinking “Am I really here?” Yup! Highlights of classes today: Jewish History with Rabbi Ken Spiro, Practical Spirituality with Rabbi Yom Tov Glaser (who happens to be the brother of a Rabbi I know in New York) and Contemporary Issues with Rabbi Motty Berger (he’s very physical, always hugging everyone but a really genuine, good soul), a few pieces of knowledge for your pleasure:


There are four Holy cities in Israel: Jerusalem represents fire, Hebron (Earth), Tiberias (water) and Tsfat (air)

People are angered by critique only to the extent that they believe its true.

In the way man wants to be, God leads him
All is well, I’m looking forward to Shabbos tomorrow. Much love and Eretz Israel.

0 comments: