Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A time for...

A war rages in Israel once again and once again I’m in America, away from it all. It would seem that for me at least nothing has changed. But much has changed. I used to be a passive observer, a follower of the news, a person nor really connected to what is going on in the holy land. No longer and never again. My brother and sisters are dieing, are suffering and I’m not with them. I’m not trying to say I want to be in the middle of the action either but its hard being so far away from home in times like these. Now I have real friends fighting, I do not know what will happen to them. Now I’m really connected to Israel, I do not know what will happen to her. Will her preserver? Will she crumble? I can not and do not know. I on principal agree with the war, I’ve been to Sderot I know what the reality is there. On principal I disagree with war in general but recognize its place in the world. Pacifism only works if you’re facing an enemy who can’t stand to kill the innocent and Israel faces no such enemy. Hamas does want to destroy Israel and its goals are incompatible with the reality of a Jewish state. You can’t negotiate with someone who desires your death; otherwise you’re just giving them a chance to stab you in the back. Enough is being said about this in the news that it seems absurd to add more symbols to a topic already crowded with them. But this is the reality we live with. It pains me to be here while those my age are fighting and dieing for the land that I love. As strange as it sounds I would never join the American army, but if I do ever make aliyah, if I ever do make the decision to settle in Israel. I feel it will be my duty to serve in her armed forces. I have nothing against America. I just feel like there are enough Americans to fight for the country of my birth. That’s just the way I feel it can not be helped. For all my friends all over the world, in Israel and the Diaspora I wish you peace, I pray for your safety and the safety of all our brave brothers and sisters fighting to preserve the land that belongs to us all. Wherever I am my heart turns always to Eretz Israel.

0 comments: