Friday, March 20, 2009

Shalosh

I haven't had much to say this month, I've needed some time to collect myself. But I was going through some old files today and found a few quotes that I just had to share. So today we get three posts, one original (because when there is snow on the ground everyone HAS to make a comment) and the two quotes, I don't know where I got this one, enjoy:

Judaism refuses the premature and easy options: despair on the one hand; consolation on the other. If either of those logical alternatives were true - either there is no justice or everything in the world is just - then we could live at peace with the world. But to be a Jew is to refuse those easy answers and to live within the tension which sees evil as real and therefore rejects premature consolation, acceptance of the world. And it is also to say that God is real and therefore hope is not an illusion. If God exists then life has a purpose. If evil exists then we have not yet achieved that purpose. Until then we must travel: lech lecha - like Abraham and Sarah traveled and as Jews have traveled ever since - el ha'aretz asher are'eka - to the land which I will show you - which is always just over the horizon which is always not quite yet.

0 comments: