Monday, March 16, 2009

Unscripted

I was watching Inside the Actors studio the other week, Conan O’Brien was on and he was talking about how he learned the art of improvisation. He spoke about his struggles with learning how to stay fluid in the moment and of a teacher he had who taught him that improv teaches one not to fear these moments*. Improv teaches us that in these moments are where the real gold is.

*these moments: REAL moments, unscripted, best chance to make a change

And I thought about how great a truth I had just heard otherwise. Because lately I had made a lot of plans and they all came crashing down on me in one glorious moment.

It was a hard blow to deal with… at the same time I have an unflinching belief that I’ll come out of this whole ordeal a better person. This is not foolish optimism, this is observation based on experience. I’ve gone though moments that felt like this one and initially I thought that all was lost, only to come out of the experience a more balanced, complete person, and I’ll (god willing) do it again.

Anywho I could go into a discussion about how life is one big play and we’re all actors upon the stage and I could quote Shakespeare to make my point. But I won’t this time because nothing else needs to be added when such truth is uttered.

It is in our unscripted moments when we are forced off of and out of our plans that the true gold is found. Those are our opportunities for greatness…if only we prepare ourselves for it.

0 comments: