Monday, April 20, 2009

Boston, MA

Boston: I finally made it…let’s start at the beginning…

One week ago I was in New Jersey, packing, not eating bread, packing, getting ready to go. Today I’m sitting at my new desk, at my new job. To say that my life has changed is an understatement. I left for my new life on Tuesday morning. I got to the halfway point and stopped. I could go no further. There weren’t any mechanical issues, I didn’t have to go to the bathroom (…okay that’s a lie, but go with me on this one) and I wasn’t interested in stopping off at my old alma mater.

Nope.

So what was I doing? Good question.

I stopped to celebrate the last two days of Pesach with good friends, some of whom I hadn’t even met yet. I was a little nervous usually I have trouble with two days chag’s (holidays) they can be fairly intense and I had plenty of other things to do without spending two days resting and not taking care of those things. I also have an obsessive mind, once I get an idea in my head, once I have a task ahead of me, I want to do it. I don’t want to wait; I can’t stand the anticipation, when I’m ready to go I just go. But I was determined to finish off the holiday the right way, and I did.

I couldn’t have asked for a better experience. My new friends were welcoming and friendly. The food was excellent. The conversation was lively. When it was all over I could hardly believe it. I left feeling like a holy yid I spent the last year in exile, now my freedom was truly about to begin. I was told by one of my new friends,”your life is about to change completely” boy oh boy didn’t I know it.

I left for Boston in the morning, the sky was blue; the traffic light and in no time I was moving into my new pad. I blew in like a bat out of hell; I can only imagine what my new roommates thought of me. I was exuding energy and excitement, Pesach energized me, the prospect of my new job, and new life had lit a fire underneath me.

Here’s the thing about the last two weeks, I had no time to think about my new adventure. Passover, Easter, packing, etc all distracted me. There was just so much going on that there was no point in over thinking it. Now I’m beginning to decompress, beginning to learn my way around the city, beginning to get to know the Jewish communities, beginning to get used to the idea that this isn’t a vacation, its life and it’s scary and confusing, and weird and really, really good.

“God saw all that he had made, and behold, it was very good. “ – Bereshit 1:31

Shalom Aleichem

0 comments: