Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Trade winds

This morning I’m meditating on the idea of change and of adventure and year and a half ago I embarked on one adventure, this blog and the subsequent ideas that have ended up on in are a direct result of that one action. Now today, this morning I’m once again thinking about adventure.

After spending the last five days in CT and then Mass I arrived home refreshed, exhausted but refreshed. It was a good week, Shabbat was amazing, the drive to Boston pleasant, a job offer and two hour drive later I was in Amherst to spend a little quality time with my cousin. It was a good week.

Now I’m contemplating moving to Boston and starting all over again… It’s scary to think about I felt like I was done with the adventures for a while, after all if I had gotten a job in New York it wouldn’t have been scary, I would have been going home. Now I’m almost certain I won’t be going home. Instead once again just like my ancestors, I’m getting ready to pick up and start over.

I’m not scared; nervous, anxious and stressed out are more accurate. There will be once I call and formally accept a lot of work to do. I’ll need to move, fast, get all my stuff together and just go. I’ve done this before which makes it easier. I have a record of accomplishment in this area; I am as my mother said to me last night no longer the child who was afraid of his shadow. I’m excited about new possibilities and new people. I’m ready to move ahead with my life and if this job gives me that in these somewhat troubled times then I’ll be content.

Meanwhile I once again find myself at a turning point. I’m going to try not to get all emotional and freaked out like I did when I graduated college and put my roommates through weeks of theorizing and speculating about the meaning of it all. But I have great faith in the order of the universe and I’m ready to embrace a new challenge, god willing I’ll be up to it.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

0 comments: