Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Thoughts for a new month:1 Tammuz, 5769

Thought one: One should not be embarrassed from people who scoff at him with respect to his service of the Creator. But nevertheless, he should not respond brazenly, in order not to acquire the character trait of being a brazen person - even when he is not involved in his service of Hashem.- (Kitzur Shulchan Aruch 29:8)

Thought two: When I got to Camp I put my kippa back on my head, why? Because it’s a rule at camp, you can’t enter the Hadar (cafeteria) without one on. When I did it I said to one of our Rabbis “Well I guess I’ll follow your rules while I’m here” and he said in response “It’s not our rule, its gods.” That got me thinking. I had forgotten how much covering my head effects the way I see the world.

Thought three: A quote: “Who is the victor? The one that holds the weapons of battle in his hand” – Zohar I, 221A

2 comments:

David said...

It's God's rule? Since when is wearing a kippa part of any mitzvah or rabbinic law?

Mazer Wolfsheim said...

The source for not walking four cubits with the head uncovered is the statement in the Talmud that the mother of Rabbi Nachman bar Yitzchak would not allow him to go with his head uncovered for she said, "Cover your head in order that you should have the fear of heaven upon you." There is another statement that Rav Huna brei d'Rabbi Yehoshua would not go four cubits with his head uncovered.

Another basis given for this practice is to avoid the customs of the non-Jews.

Even though the requirement to cover the head at all times is not stated in the Torah, or even in the Talmud, it is nevertheless an established Jewish custom and is binding on all Jewish men. The requirement to follow established religious customs is based upon the Biblical teaching, "Hear, my son, your Father's instruction, and do not forsake your Mother's Torah" (Mishlei - Proverbs 1:8). It is taught that "Father" in this verse refers to God, while "Mother" refers to the nation of Israel. "Your Mother's Torah" refers to religious customs which were established by the Jewish people. These have the status of Torah and are binding. The requirement of male headcovering is one such custom. (The requirement to cover one's head during prayer is discussed in Mesechta Sofrim 14:15.)

"One should not walk bare-headed (the distance of) four cubits."
Shulchan Aruch, Orach Chayim, Ch. 2.

"Small children should (also) be brought up to cover their heads."
Shulchan Aruch, Orach Chayim, Ch. 2.