Friday, August 7, 2009

The times they are a...

I'm back in the city where I go when I dream, its been to long... I've been dealing with a lot of change, a lot of turmoil, a lot of re-evaluation of what I've been doing and what I want to be doing and there is no greater place to think about these things then this great city. I'm talking of course about New York. I've been told there's a New York bias, anyone whose from here, anyone who calls this place home inevitably discounts everywhere else.

To that I say guilty as charged.

I can't imagine raising a family here or living here for my whole life, but I do think that anyone who's anyone needs to give this place a chance, needs to test themselves here to see who they truly are. Because the thing about New York is you can be anyone here, there are a lot of things New York is and is not, I won't even try to list them. But one thing that New York is, is its a city of unlimited possibilities. Of unlimited dreams, just imagine for a second who you want to be, here in New York you can be that if only you have the nerve.

So this is a good place for me to come back to when I feel like I'm back to square one. Once again I'm back to where I started. Whenever I have to much time on my hands I'm always drawn to these feelings. To the feelings of emptiness, of loneliness. Yes I'm being dramatic, yes I'm being truthful. My generation is in many ways a doomed generation, the third generation after the war to end all wars, after the boom of our parents and their parents. Our problems are that of expectation, of living in an unrealistic reality that we'll never be able to fulfill. The prosperity that we grew up with is fading quickly into memory and all we're left with is the reality we face now, a world restructuring itself, and a reality that felt real but never was and we'll never get back.

Yes I'm back in the city of my dreams, if only I could remember what it was I once used to dream about.

0 comments: