Tuesday, August 25, 2009

On the Road

I’ve been on the road for the last 19 days, reading, hanging out with friends and family and just generally trying not to think so much.

From ‘This Is My God’, by Herman Wouk:

Without reaching any conclusions, I moved into a freely chosen observant life. I was gambling my existence in one hunch: that being a Jew was not a trivial and somewhat inconvenient accident, but the best thing in my life and that to be a Jew the soundest way was the classic way…I took the chance saying to myself “I may be wrong” living this way, on a gamble, I learned things about Judaism that no other procedure would have taught me… There are many things that you can come to know only by trying to do them. (p.250-251)… I claim the capacity to doubt. It is the one mental asset I am sure of, beyond the skill with words that gives me my living. I doubted at the age of twenty four the commitments of the show world to which bright people all around me uncritically gave their lives: more money, bigger projects, new pleasures, more involved plans and so on to the death. I doubted the popular naturalistic creed of my college days… and I left it for something that seemed more likely to be true. p.252

0 comments: