Sunday, January 20, 2008

Quotes, Quotes, everywhere but not a drop to drink…

I love quotes, taking a complex idea and summarizing it with a few words or sentences. Over the years I’ve collected quotes from a wide range of sources and in honor of my family delivering my big external hard drive to me from America I thought I’d share a few for your reading pleasure:

"The pagan perceives the divine in nature through the medium of the eye and he becomes conscious of it as something to be looked at. On the other hand, the Jew conceives God as being outside of nature and prior to it. The divine manifests itself through the will and through the medium of the ear. The pagan beholds his God: the Jew hears Him." - Heinrich Graetz

Turn-the-other-cheek pacifism, only flourishes among the more prosperous classes, or among workers who have in some way escaped from their own class. The real working class…are never really pacifist, because their life teaches them something different. To abjure violence it is necessary to have no experience of it.” - George Orwell
Is repetitive action virtuous action? If behavior and conduct are merely repetitive processes then all human relationships actually cease. If I behave mechanically every day, - repeating a certain code of conduct which I have learnt, which I find profitable, or which is pleasant, repeating that over and over again, - my relationship with you ceases, completely - I have become a machine. - J. Krishnamurti
Not how the world is is the mystical, but that it is.
What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare. - from "Leisure," by W.H. Davies

There are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable; life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only Being. - Albert Einstein

0 comments: