Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sderot

A trip to Sderot with my class opened my eyes to what its really like being a settler on the frontier. In case you don't know Sderot is in the Western Negev, it is part of Israel and has been since its independence. No group has ever said that Israel doesn't have claims to Sderot, except those groups who desire the destruction of Israel and the Jewish people. Sderot has been hit by over 4000 rockets since Israels disengagement from Gaza in 2005. On Monday when we went there no rockets had fallen for fours days mostly due to the ceasefire Israel signed with Hamas. The next day rockets fell again. Being there and seeing it with my own eyes was a powerful experience. Its something that is hard to describe. Seeing bomb shelters at bus stops, at kindergartens, every where talking with people who live with the reality that the Israeli government doesn't seem to care about them. That the world is happy to ignore their problem while condemning Israel for human rights violations. And I have to say after my trip I agree Israel is in violation of human rights violations, against their own people, people who they're unable to defend, people who they seem okay with ignoring. I know the whole group walked away with incredible respect for the people who live in Sderot, for more information check out the Sderot Media Center.

0 comments: