Thursday, November 20, 2008

Born Again

This article about our president elect Barack Obama (am I the only one who finds it amazing that his name is derived from the Hebrew baruch i.e. blessing, just a thought). Was sent to me from my friend Jeremy. I have referenced our conversations numberious times in this blog and can safely say he has had as much of an influence on what I write. More often he has helped me refine and polish my ideas on this blog. He is an avid reader which makes me feel good and a wonderful sounding board. He has caught up on ideas I've written and demanded clarity when I was being vague. Heres the money quote:

FALSANI:So you got yourself born again?

OBAMA:Yeah, although I don't, I retain from my childhood and my experiences growing up a suspicion of dogma. And I'm not somebody who is always comfortable with language that implies I've got a monopoly on the truth, or that my faith is automatically transferable to
others.I'm a big believer in tolerance. I think that religion at it's best comes with a big dose of doubt. I'm suspicious of too much certainty in the pursuit of understanding just because I think people are limited in their understanding. I think that, particularly as somebody who's now in the public realm and is a student of what brings people together and what drives them apart, there's an enormous amount of damage done around the world in the name of religion and certainty.

0 comments: