Sunday, September 7, 2008

Exile

Being in exile can be very difficult. Its just what popped into my head this afternoon, but its true whenever you get away from one world, from one place and move to another one its not easy. For ten months I was immeresed in a vibrant, colorful, diverse Jewish community. Jerusalem is the epicenter of it all. And I think that discovering one's Jewish identity in Eretz Israel is a different expereience then discovering it outside the land. Because for me so much of what it means to be Jewish is wrapped up in the physical land of Israel. I identify my tradition with the Judean Hills and the west bank of the Jordan river. So being away from that critical part of my identity is quite a culture shock. I know I'll adjust, I know in time I'll find a world here that fits my idea of what being Jewish is about. But right now I'm in an exile and I know I'll endure. Even though I know its a difficult road, I recognize that I'm just starting on down it. And I know as I progress it will become more familiar and as it becomes more familiar my exile will cease. But for now I follow in the great tradtion of my people, an outsider in a land thats not truely my own, finding my way, discovering what works and what makes sense and wahts right. Enough for now, its a beautiful sunny day, football is being played, and if you can't find the beauty and perfection in a play action pass, well then I just pity you. Shalom.

0 comments: