Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Daniel’s Birthday (and how I fell into the Matrix)

It was my friend Daniel’s birthday on Saturday and we knew we needed to do it right, we’re all far away from home and I knew that if it was me I’d like a big deal to be made of it. So with that in mind we knew what needed to be done. The night started with a few of us sitting around the Old City, after having a few (or maybe more then a few) drinks we headed off. Daniel with his new San Diego Chargers kippa on (courtesy of me and others) couldn’t thank us enough. So we hit the town, wandering around and making a night of it. Our first stop was a sports bar, loud 80’s music blared and the 1995 NBA finals were on the TV, we got to see the Magic lead by a very young looking Shaq blow and 20 point lead and lose to the Houston Rockets. Before to long we headed off, and then I feel into the Matrix, my friends directed us into an underground club, it was very cool. Loud trance music was playing and everyone was having a good time. We quickly settled in, grabbing a table in the back, dancing, drinking and having a great time. As the night drew on our numbers diminished. My friend Todd and I met an Ex-Israeli special operations solider and had a wild conversation. It is absolutely incredible to hear these guys talk about what it takes to enter Gaza, to kill another human being and the psychological effect it has on them, it was without a doubt the highlight of the night. Before long the night wound down and we headed for home. After hearing Todd talk about this place called Burger’s Bar the entire week before I had to check it out. Twenty minutes later a very satisfied crew got up and headed for home, I’ve got to say it was one of the best burger’s I’ve ever had and its kosher. As we were walking back I looked around and I have to say the new city of Jerusalem is a weird place, there’s a lot of activity. People mill around at all hours, there are a lot of young kids out and at times I feel very uncomfortable, very weird. As my head hit the pillow and my eyes closed I couldn’t help but think about yet another successful night in an incredible place.

0 comments: