Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Emotions

I really feel like a girl at this Yeshiva. Allow me to elaborate, I feel like I’m constantly talking about feelings here, that all I ever hear is about reason and logic. While the emotional aspects of life are cast aside, treated as irrelevant or unimportant, and you know what? It sucks. I feel like most of the Rabbi’s here cast aside what to me is a fundamental part of the equation. That is to say you can reason all you want, but at then end of the day we all have to make a jump. That is no matter what you believe everyone has to deal with the fact that we’re required to have a bit of faith. Now I’m not trying to suggest that you make decisions in life on pure faith, that would be ridiculous but I do believe that life demands an element of the unknown, the mysterious, the mystical. I mean haven’t you ever been in a situation where you just intuitively knew something? You couldn’t explain why you knew but you just did, you didn’t need all of the evidence in fact once you got more information your judgment became clouded and you fooled yourself into a decision that you just knew was wrong? Maybe it’s just me; it can be so frustrating when you hear that this can’t be explained about the human body and that can’t be explained about evolution so if we don’t know then it must be god. Why does it have to be god? What if we just haven’t come far enough in our understanding of the world to know yet? What if the answer is out there and we just can’t see it. A lack of evidence and information doesn’t mean we should stick god into every space. What it means is we should continue to look, continue to imagine and dream. In the end I’ll stick with Einstein who said “Religion without science is lame, science without religion is blind.”

0 comments: